Information on our fall auditions will be available soon (I promise!) at www.wolftrap.org/opera/audition.html.
Our new online application process is up and running at www.wolftrapopera.org/application.
The basic information, including audition tour dates and sites, may be found below.
APPLICATION & AUDITION SCHEDULE
Philadelphia – November 6 (Application Deadline October 6)
New York – November 8 through 12 (Application Deadline October 6)
Houston – November 13 (Application Deadline October 16)
San Francisco – November 15 (Application Deadline October 16)
Cincinnati – November 16 & 17 (Application Deadline October 16)
Chicago – November 18 (Application Deadline October 20)
Vienna, VA – November 20 & 21 (Application Deadline October 20)
1) TO APPLY ONLINE
The online application must be completed in a single browser session, so before you
begin, be sure that you have the following information:
- Which audition site you’d like to request.
- A list of young artist training programs in which you’ve participated.
- A list of any awards, grant or prizes you may have received.
- A list of up to 5 complete roles you’ve performed.
- Your 4 audition arias. (Comprising varied styles and languages, including one aria
by either Mozart or Handel and one aria in English.)
- Credit card information in order to pay the non-refundable $25 application fee.
- Your résumé and headshot as files to upload. (You do have the option of sending
the résumé and/or headshot by mail.)
- IMPORTANT: Even if you meet the online submission deadline, any
accompanying materials sent by regular mail must meet the postmark
If you’d like to apply online, click go here to begin the online application process.
2) TO APPLY BY MAIL
If you’d like to apply by mail, go to www.wolftrap.org/opera/audition.html to navigate to the printable PDF application.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
1) APPLICATION CONFIRMATION
- We do not automatically confirm receipt of applications sent by mail.
- Applications that do not meet the deadline will not be considered.
- If you apply online, you will receive a confirmation email when you complete the
2) AUDITION NOTIFICATION
- All applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been scheduled for an
audition approximately 2 weeks before the requested audition date.
- If you do not hear from us, and it is less than 2 weeks before your requested date,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) AUDITION PROCESS
- An accompanist will be provided, but you may bring your own accompanist if you prefer.
- Singers may change audition repertoire. Please bring an updated list to the audition.
- Singers will begin their auditions with the aria of their choice. An additional aria may be
OPTIONAL AUDIO RECORDING
Applicants may increase their chances of being scheduled for an audition by submitting an
audio CD. Please label your CD clearly with your name and the selections it contains. Include at least two arias, one of which must be in Italian.
INFO FOR APPRENTICE COACH & DIRECTOR APPLICANTS
- Fill out all fields except “Awards”, “Complete Roles” and “Audition Repertoire.”
- We will contact you to determine mutually agreeable audition repertoire.
- You must submit a résumé, but no headshot is necessary.
- In addition, apprentice coach and apprentice director candidates must submit two letters of recommendation.
2007 SEASON INFORMATION
- Repertoire for the 2007 season has not been chosen and will be determined based on the strengths of the various voice types heard during the audition tour.
- Approximate season dates for 2007 residencies are May 14 through August 18.
- Filene Young Artists receive a bi-weekly stipend, including the terms of a standard AGMA soloist contract for those artists cast in the opera presented at the Filene Center.
- Although housing expenses are not included in the compensation package, Wolf Trap Opera assists all incoming artists in locating housing with volunteer hosts within reasonable commuting distance. Access to a car is necessary since there is no public transportation convenient to Wolf Trap.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- The Wolf Trap Opera Company summer residency is intended for aspiring singers, coaches, and directors who are at an interim point between academic training and full-time professional careers.
- Exceptional talent and operatic career potential are the most important criteria for selection.
- Applicants should be able to present a secure technique, evidence of solid training, a distinctive vocal quality, a high level of personal artistry, and readiness to perform carefully selected solo roles.
- Most successful candidates are currently enrolled in or have recently completed graduate or professional degrees, and/or are not more than 2-3 years past completion of academic training.