We’ve seen just about half of you on the audition tour as we wrap up New York, and, as the halftime show is a break from regularly scheduled programming to provide entertainment and spectacle, we thought we’d give you (and ourselves) a break from the musical content and provide something more fashion oriented.
It’s fun to watch each year as the trends in audition attire evolve and I must say y’all are bringing the fashion game hard! The expression of individual style through fashion is just one more way we get to see how you as an artist stand out from the crowd. There are bright colors and bold patterns and we love it when you bring your full self into the audition room.
Instead of spouting opinions on what we think you should be wearing, this year we’re just going to provide a smattering of some of the things you are wearing. These are all things we’ve actually seen on stage so far and it’s all we can do to bite our tongue and not ask where you got something (and sometimes we breakdown and ask anyway :)
Audition Tour 2019 is the year of:
- Wrap dresses
- Unstructured, flow-y dresses
- Lapel pins
- Pocket Squares
- Purple pants (or are they Navy?)
- Floral ties
- Bell sleeves
- Ankle strap shoes in bright colors
- Big, bold prints on everything – floral, leopard, abstract, etc.
- Jumpsuits (and often on Sopranos!)
- Tuxedo pants
- Vests with a tie / Vests without a tie
- Jackets and blazers that depart from black and blue
If you still have an audition ahead of you and can’t decide what to pull from the closet, here’s the only piece of advice you’ll get from us. Wear something that you feel good in. DON’T wear something that will mess with your breathing or your larynx. DO wear something that makes you feel like a million bucks.
A few other protips, if you’ll indulge us.
- Sing in it at least once beforehand – a dress rehearsal, if you will.
- Break in those shoes – if they’re tall, or slippery, or strappy, you don’t want to experience it for the first time up on stage.
- Keep it simple – the last thing you want is to add to any nerves or stress the day of your audition. Choose something that you don’t need to worry about later on and you’ll keep your head in the game and on the singing.
What if, despite all your planning, everything goes wrong and your luggage gets lost or you spill coffee all over that suit before your audition? Seriously, don’t sweat it, we’re human too. Don’t let a hurdle like this keep you from singing your best, ultimately that’s what we’re all here for anyway. Come as polished as you can and if you’re just having one of those days it’s ok to tell us why you’re wearing jeans – or don’t and just sing your face off!
We can’t wait to see the rest of you dressed in your finest!