Part Six in a series of posts containing audition season advice submitted by Wolf Trap Opera alumni.
The handful of comments that touched on this topic are mostly for the ladies. Do with them what you will.
The way you look does matter.
A few words from singers:
- Make sure your shoes aren’t louder than your voice.
- Get an outfit that flatters your figure and allows you to breathe. It’s a hard thing to find, but take the time to search for it.
- The way you look MATTERS. Spend money on your audition outfit if you have to. You only need one, and you will get a lot of use out of it.
Bonus advice from two of my colleagues who couldn’t resist jumping into the fray…
- If you are going to wear Spanx and add a lovely twirl at the end of your aria, please practice it IN YOUR AUDITION DRESS in front of a friend who will be honest with you.
- Ladies: Foundation garments. That is all.
Next: Be True to Yourself