Applications for the 2017 Summer season are now open!
Application Instructions & Audition Information
|CITY||APPLICATION DEADLINE||AUDITION DATE|
|Los Angeles||September 1, 2016||October 1, 2016|
|San Francisco||September 1, 2016||October 3, 2016|
|New York||September 7, 2016||October 6, 7, 8, 9, 2016|
|Chicago||September 12, 2016||October 11 & 12, 2016|
|Cincinnati||September 12, 2016||October 13, 14, 15, 2016|
|Houston||September 19, 2016||October 19 & 20, 2016|
|Vienna, Virginia||September 24, 2016||October 24 & 25, 2016|
Each season’s repertoire is selected in late autumn, based on the artists heard in the annual tour.
We do not set exact dates until we hear auditions, decide on repertoire and embark on casting. Rehearsals will begin in mid/late May, and performances may last through the third week of August.
- Not all Filene Young Artists are required to be present for the entire season, but you should only apply if you are available for at least two months of this mid-May to mid-August time frame.
- Studio Artists, Fellows and Interns are required to be in residence for the entire season.
Please note any conflicts within the overall time frame on your application form.
Eligibility for Young Artist Program
You must either be a U.S. citizen or be authorized to work in the United States through the end of August 2017.
The Application Process
- Deadlines: Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Ways to Apply: Apply online or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a PDF application. Please only apply for one tier of the program. If we feel you are more competitive for a different tier, we will notify you.
- Fees: The application process is free. If you are selected to receive an audition, you must confirm your appointment by submitting the audition fee ($45 for Filene Young Artists and Fellows / $25 for Studio Artists).
- Materials: Required materials include a headshot & résumé; Studio Artists are also encouraged to submit a link to an unedited, live video recording via YouTube.
- Initial Notification: Approximately 3 weeks before the requested audition date you will be notified by email as to whether or not you have been scheduled for an audition. If you do not hear from us, and it is 3 weeks before your requested date, contact us at email@example.com or 703.255.1935.
- Confirmation: If you receive an invitation to audition, you must confirm your date and time by submitting payment within one week of notification.
Cancellation: If you need to cancel due to illness, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.255.1935 to or leave a voice message. Do not try to reach us at the audition space.
Conflicts: If you are unable to keep your assigned date/time, you have these options:
- Arrange a mutual swap with another singer. Both of you must email us (email@example.com) to confirm this swap.
- Notify us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you are unable to keep your assigned date/time. You will be placed on a wait list for your new preferred date/time, and we will contact you if and when we have an opening.
Filene Young Artists
- Offer 4 arias in contrasting styles and languages.
- You may change audition repertoire after submitting your application. It is not necessary to notify us if you change your repertoire; just bring a copy of the revised list to the audition.
- You will begin your audition with an aria of your choice. An additional selection may be requested
- Prepare three contrasting selections, one of which must be in English. Any combination of art songs and arias is acceptable.
- Prepare a contemporary monologue (must have been written since 1900; material from current movies or TV shows is welcome) no more than one minute long.
- You will begin with the selection of your choice and will then perform your monologue. An additional selection may be requested.
WOLF TRAP OPERA REVISED AUDITION REQUIREMENTS 9/9/16
BE PREPARED TO PLAY AND SING ALL SELECTIONS.
Your choices from the categories below should include one excerpt or aria in Italian, and one excerpt or aria in either French or German. (Other languages allowed but not required.)
- A Mozart aria that includes an accompanied recitative
- A Handel aria preceded by a brief secco recitative
- An ensemble selection from a 19th-century opera (examples: Bohème quartet, Carmen quintet, Rigoletto quartet etc.)
- A brief excerpt of any type from an opera written since 1940.
- One other opera excerpt or aria of your choice
- Sight-reading will also be included in the audition.
Please email email@example.com to request an application.
Please bring to your audition:
- 3 copies of your résumé
- 3 copies of your audition repertoire list
- Do not bring a headshot or any additional promotional materials (bios, CD’s, press clippings).
- A pianist will be provided, but you may bring your own pianist if you prefer.
- We are not able to arrange pre-audition rehearsals with the company pianist.
Filene Young Artist & Studio Artist Candidates
- Callback auditions will be held on the same day as preliminary auditions or by request on a subsequent audition day. There are no additional days exclusively for callbacks.
- If you are unable to come back during the established callback period at the end of the day, please notify us when you check in.
- Upon checking in, you will receive instructions on how and when to access the callback list.
- If you have any trouble accessing the callback list on the day of your audition, call the WTO office at 703.255.1935 to leave a message.
- If your name is not on the callback list, you are no longer under consideration for this year’s company.
- There are no callbacks for Coaching Fellows.
- Coaching Fellow candidates will be selected by December 15.
- If you receive a competing offer for the summer before you hear from us, please notify us immediately.
You may request feedback on your audition by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org in January. Please allow up to 8 weeks for a response.
Wolf Trap Residency Logistics
- Filene Young Artists and Fellows are placed with volunteer housing hosts within reasonable commuting distance. The average housing situation is located 5-10 miles away from our rehearsal and performance facilities. Wolf Trap is unable to assume responsibility for housing spouses, partners, or pets.
- Studio Artists receive dormitory lodging at no expense.
- All Artists must provide their own local transportation.
- Wolf Trap is located in the Virginia suburbs, where both public transportation and sidewalks are inconsistent, and housing assignments are often several miles away from our rehearsal and performance facility. You will need to have a car or make other arrangements to navigate the area.
- All young artists receive a stipend and reimbursement for round-trip travel.
- Last season, the weekly amount for Filene Young Artists was $650, and the weekly amount for Studio Artists was $350.
Ready to Apply?
Reach WTO at:
1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182